NEW YORK — The american legal system is again set in motion following the release of a documentary damning the singer R. Kelly, prosecutors seeking to shed light on the accusations of pedophilia and sexual assaults of which he is the object.
The attorney of Cook county (Illinois), which depends on Chicago, its city of origin, has held Tuesday a press conference to launch an appeal for witnesses.
“Please, please, please, please contact us,” said Kim Foxx. “We can’t investigate these charges without the cooperation of victims and witnesses.”
In the documentary Surviving R. Kelly, the long six-hour broadcast last week on the cable channel Lifetime, several women accuse the singer of having sexual relations with young girls under the age of 16 years old, when he was himself a major.
Other witnesses to ensure that Robert Sylvester Kelly, whose real name, is surrounded by women that he has turned into sex slaves, and who today are completely cut off from their loved ones.
The prosecutor Foxx ruled Tuesday the accusations “very disturbing” and said to be in contact with two families of young women who would currently be under the influence of R. Kelly.
In Georgia, where R. Kelly also has a residence, several local media have reported that the office of the prosecutor of the county of Fulton, upon which the city of Atlanta, had opened an investigation on the artist.
Contacted by AFP, a spokesman declined to comment.
The lawyer of the family of one of the women whose name is mentioned in the documentary, Jocelyn Savage, said Tuesday several local media have been contacted by members of the prosecutor’s office about R. Kelly.
The first public accusations aimed at R. Kelly go back nearly 20 years.
The singer and producer of 52 years, author of the success I Believe I Can Fly, had been charged in 2002 for having filmed sexual acts between him and a young girl of 14 years, but eventually acquitted in 2008.
It has not reacted publicly to the content of the documentary since its release, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.