Carbon monoxide poisoning in Ottawa: a man dies, a woman in serious condition

A natural gas appliance is believed to have caused a carbon monoxide leak that killed a 75-year-old man and left his spouse in critical condition on Tuesday in the Orleans area of ​​Ottawa.
It is a second case of fatal poisoning by carbon monoxide in less than a week in the Ottawa-Gatineau region.

According to François D’Aoust of the Ottawa Police Service (OPS), a friend went to the couple’s house after talking to them on the phone early in the day. The couple and the lady had agreed to meet at 10:45 am at the residence at 383 Phoenix Crescent.

The poisoning would have occurred quickly, although emergency departments could not comment on the exact duration of their exposure to gas.

“When this friend arrived, summed police officer D’Aoust, she immediately found that the woman was in respiratory distress. The man was already dead. ”

The friend had only seconds to try to rescue the victims and do the 9-1-1, before being in turn bothered by the high rate of carbon monoxide. She too was hospitalized.

The medical teams were trying to save the two women using a hyperbaric chamber to increase the oxygen level in the blood. The wife of the deceased was in critical condition, while their friend seemed to have a better chance of survival at the end of the day.

“The carbon monoxide rate was high enough so that first responders could not enter the house when they arrived,” added police officer D’Aoust.

The natural gas supply was turned off to allow the investigators to do their work.

A coroner went to the scene shortly before 4 pm The body of the septuagenarian was released from the residence soon after.

The monoxide level has reached 600 parts per million (PPM) in some parts of the house. He reached 700 MPP in basement, said firefighters in Ottawa on Tuesday. This rate can cause fainting and death after exposure lasting less than one hour.

This gas is painless and colorless. The authorities reiterated yesterday the importance of having a functional carbon monoxide detector at home.

The authorities confirmed that the single-family residence was heated with natural gas.

The Ontario Technical Standards and Safety Authority was called to the scene to check the condition of the domestic facilities.

The Ottawa paramedics could not say more about the health of the 75-year-old woman late Tuesday afternoon.

The hypothesis of a hearth fire to explain these emanations was quickly dismissed.

A pet was taken care of by the municipal services.

On Thursday, two men in their 60s died in the fire at their residence at 312, de la Madeleine Street, in the Gatineau sector.

Both victims also succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Their bodies were discovered in the basement.

Share Button
Previous Article
Next Article